Throughout the semester, I got the experience of being able to interact with many highschool students in a cooperative and exciting way.

Through Multiliteracies class, I was able to have many opportunities to engage with youth, in particular from 2 high schools in Victoria. With both classes, we were assisting in an inquiry-based project that allowed for the building of relationships and the exploration of interests. I am happy to share a few of the successful projects completed with the students.

The power of youth:

This first photo was a project done to make the Royal BC Museum more inclusive. We decided to focus on a climate area that was not very interactive or engaging. We added a massive iceberg with activism posters on it to increase the inclusion of youth and those who might not be able to read the written pieces on the wall. Additionally, we had a video with audio playing on the ceiling (the projector was in the iceberg) of diverse and scary weather opinions that could appeal to both deaf and blind people. This experience enabled me to interact and understand a youth’s perspective of engagement and climate anxiety.

The power of interest:

This second project was an inquiry-based assignment that was intended to have a focus on a societal issue. My group decided to conquer the issue of falsified historical facts and an overall uninterest for youth to learn about history. They approached this by making an interactive presentation with videos, games, photos and text that would appeal to many different learners. Before this project, I had no motivation to learn more about history, but these students really motivated me by the methods that we chose to include.